ALONE TOGETHER AGAIN (ATA): A Second International Pandisciplinary Symposium on Solitude in Community – Szczecin 2020
Thursday 16 April – Saturday 18 April 2020
“We must meet; we must communicate with one another; we must, it would seem, be alone together” (John Macmurray)
We welcome contributions to the second international pandisciplinary symposium on solitude in community: Alone Together Again. (To see the photographs of the first conference click here). This is organised by the University of Szczecin and York St John University, under the auspices of the Rector of the University of Szczecin. All papers, discussions and posters will be held in English.
We welcome papers and posters on any issues related to solitude, silence and loneliness, from any discipline. At the end of the first symposium, several topics were suggested as in particular need for further research and discussion. These are presented as useful guides, but they are not restrictive:
● Research methods appropriate to the aloneness studies.
● Taboo words and issues related to the problem of loneliness or solitude.
● The relationship between aloneness and sexuality/gender.
● Culture as context of aloneness inquiry.
● Technology and social media – links to the problematic.
● The relationship between aloneness and capitalism/neoliberalism.
● Pathways into and out of solitude.
● Human rights and the law, including the right to be alone and in solitude.
● Preparing for aging: overcoming loneliness, enhancing solitude.
● Better uses of silence.
● Healthy signs of loneliness and positive uses of solitude.
● Introducing solitude in education: can solitude be taught?
● Practical ways of combating loneliness.
The structure of the symposium will try to bring out three dimensions of aloneness (that is, solitude, silence and loneliness), and the different experiences of aloneness at different life stages from childhood to old age.